As Historians we BELIEVE that...
We believe that the teaching of History at Eskdale should lay the foundations for further historical enquiry beyond Key Stage Two. The learning of History at Eskdale is rooted in our core values, specifically ‘Skills and Knowledge for Life’ and ‘Take Care’.
As Historians we STRIVE to...
Our core intent is to enable all pupils to strive to:
- Develop an enthusiasm for and foster an interest in, History.
- Develop an understanding of chronology.
- Gain a knowledge and understanding of past societies (British, local and the world).
- Understand and use methods of historical enquiry.
- Develop critical thinking when considering sources; analysing trends and change; drawing connections and contrasts; and considering significance.
- History is taught discretely at Eskdale, however opportunities are taken wherever possible to make links across the curriculum.
As Historians we ACHIEVE by...
To allow our pupils to achieve, our method of teaching incorporates specific meta-cognitive strategies to enable all pupils to retain the learning of both skills and knowledge.